Guardian Angel School was established in 1956 in order to provide an instructional program with strong religious bases for first and second graders within its parish boundaries. In that year, two lay teachers staffed the school. In 1957, the Congregation of the Religious of Jesus and Mary, with its provinciality located in Hyattsville, Maryland, accepted the call to minister to the people of Pacoima, California. The Congregation accepted the administration of the school and commissioned five religious to assist the two lay teachers, thus, the school expanded its services to include grades 3 6. In 1959, the staff increased to include five Religious of Jesus and Mary and three lay teachers opening its doors in September, 1959, to students in grades 1 8. In 1988, funds were made available through grant money for Kindergarten to be opened as well as a computer lab. In 1998, the Religious of Jesus and Mary turned over the administration of the school to the parish and the first lay principal was hired.
Guardian Angel School presently serves about 235 students from Transitional Kindergarten through Grade 8. Students also come from neighboring parishes and cities. Today, Guardian Angel has graduated more than two thousand students. Many of whom have become successful Catholics.
Demographically, Guardian Angel can be considered predominantly Hispanic, but it is blessed to have other ethnicities. While most of our students come from Pacoima, many come from neighboring cities like San Fernando, Mission Hills, Sunland, Panorama City, Van Nuys, etc.